Tuesday 26 June 2012

Lean Stake

Excerpt from yesterday's Operation Grow-A-Garden Chronicles:




Photo evidence:


 Four Cilantro in the back, 
Parsley to the far left, 
Jalapeno in the center, 
Tomato on far right center and 
Oregano in bottom right corner.

Far left three plants are the Jalapeno, 
Tomato and Oregano mentioned above.
To the right of the Oregano is the Basil, 
and the next two pots over to the right 
(black & brown) are more Oregano.
The plant in the far right corner 
("The Tomatolets") and all of the tall 
plants in the background are Tomatoes. 




Although there has been no transplanting, there is also no flooding in the future for 'the subjects'. According to the news this insane amount of marvelous rain is due to stop being quite so persistent, but weather reporters have one of those jobs that allows you to be forgiven even if your statements are public and ultimately proven wrong. The good thing about all of this moisture is the fact that the whole world out here is green, every hillside and mountaintop glistening with bright blooms, solid growth and thriving life. It has been some time since I've seen the countryside quite this nourished; the last few summers have begun with threat of fire and not flood.

Yesterday this rain made me come to the point where I had to implement some of what I learned, although this was something that is pretty obvious and I was very aware I would have to do soon enough.

Despite the fact that they are under cover (residing peacefully under the edge of the deck) there has been so much rain splatter and wind swirling the drops through the air that one of my tomatoes decided to... well, lean. There was no substantial bend or any damage to the plant--it was just... sideways, as though it became a little overzealous reaching for the minimal sunlight filtering through the grey clouds.

The first time I saw one tipped I thought, 'no problem, I'll just turn this plant around.' So I did--that pot happened to be conveniently located next to the largest tomato pot on the pedestal which is tall and made a perfect support.

I came out an hour later to find not only another plant from the first pot that I had just turned leaning over, but different one in a separate pot leaning as well. As the rain poured around me, I thought:

...'tis TIME for the start of 

the STAKING /...


Thus I made my way across the yard
over to the treed area to find myself a STAKE. What did I choose? A stick with slightly more significant size than a twig and broke it into a few pieces. From there I returned to my leaning plants and proceeded to select the best stick for the leaning stalks.

So far, my 'lean stakes' have worked like a charm.

Soon enough I am going to have to do this for all of them 
I'm assuming--but in the mean time, all is well.


©reated by ŊetHerŊøte

No comments:

Post a Comment